Friday 26 July 2013

Check & Log

- I have discovered that by mixing certain materials together can produce some great results. A careful use of water and a mixture of a variety of brushes. I discovered that old, dry, short brushes with spread and uneven bristles is good to use to re-create wood textures and rough looking textures. Along with this a careful use of cloths and scrap paper to regular water and colour strength I have found to be an effective technique.
I have tried Inks, with feathers, random bits of wood, as well as with brushes. I have ordered a specific pen for use with dipping ink to try and further experiment with this method.




- I am getting better with hatching. Small items I feel fairly confident with but do struggle with larger scale hatching. I have experimented with a range of different materials and have found the most success using fine line and biro pens for this technique. I find that I can control the form more accurately and describe the curves ok with these, see the pear and mug on the right.
Items such as charcoal that are very brittle I didn't find very successful at all. These are much better suited to blending and larger format pieces.


FROTTAGE: I'm has its place, but personally I have to admit to switching off almost instantly. You can get some really good effects and textures that i'm sure would be suited to more abstract work. I this way of working I not really my thing I can't see me using this method very much. I won't rule it out, but  it didn't really do it for me as at present I find it quite limited. I may yet prove myself wrong in this! (We shall see)  Below is one of my more successful attempts.



No comments:

Post a Comment