Saturday 20 July 2013

Check & Log

When looking at cast shadow and reflected light I've found that I need to be a lot more confident. Remembering to take a step back and look from afar to see the effects when adding in highlights and shadows.
After talking with a few fellow artists i've discovered that I have a slight issue with mid-tones!! I never really thought much of using a putty rubber so tried to avoid it whenever I could. Over the past few weeks however I can say that I am converted!! I used to start by adding in shadows, mid-tones and then try to leave the highlights. I've found it much quicker and even more effective to start with mid-tones, add in dark tones, then rub in the highlighted area's.
This technique is much better for getting in reflected light. I find It best to put in the cast shadows first and then work in the highlight's. As least at this stage these are my initial thoughts. I'm sure with more practise and experience I my develop this or a different approach.


In the drawing that I have tried to show reflected shadows I noticed that the reflections tend to bend away from the object in the reflection. That is if like the shiny coffee jug (Right) gets smaller towards the top. I deliberately wanted an object this reflective to really try to distinguish the reflections. I fear though now looking back I may have lost some cast shadows.

I certainly could have added more dark tones and been more confident with the blacks.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment